Friday, September 5, 2008

Red Zinger.


I love red zinger iced tea. There really is no way to describe its taste. There's a hint of mint, but it's not overpowering. The main ingredient is hibiscus, which I find intriguing. I enjoy this tea so much that I purchased some hibiscus sorbet from Whole Foods. I was sorely disappointed. It tasted like cold sweetness. No flavor. Red zinger set my expectations too high.
Oh, why did I take a picture of this particular glass of red zinger? Can you guess? Does it have to do with lavender? Why, yes, it does. Since I had to half the recipe for the ice cream because I only had half of the fresh ricotta, I had extra lavender simple syrup. Not that you can tell from this photo, but there is some lavender simple syrup in there. And, that syrup made my iced tea so much better.
I think I'll make lavender simple syrup and pour it into a glass of plain seltzer for some lavender soda.
Ooh, I also thought that since the ricotta ice cream base was just so creamy, I could use that to make other flavors like cannoli ice cream. Ricotta base, bits of dark chocolate and broken up cannoli shells. Sounds good in theory.

Lavender Simple Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp dried lavender

Combine sugar and water. Heat until sugar dissolves. Turn off heat and add lavender. Let sit for 30 minutes. Strain over mesh sieve to remove solids.

No comments: