Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Say Cheeeese!

I made fresh ricotta cheese. My mom let me use her candy thermometer, so I didn't have to buy one.
When I asked the grocery store clerk the location of cheese cloth, you would've thought I asked where they keep their crack. So, I found a cotton meshy cloth and used that. It worked quite well, but I did have sew the two cloths together to make one big cloth.

Overall, I enjoyed the cheese-making experience, but I can't say I'll do it again soon. I honestly didn't see the benefit of the thermometer, because you could see when the curds were forming, so the temperature on the thermometer was irrelevant.


I don't know what I did or didn't do, or if I did everything just right, but there was a lot of extra whey. A lot. The curds to whey ratio was kinda off, and I figured that would be the case, just not as extreme as it was.*
Later today, I'll probably be making ice cream.

*I was definitely off! The recipe should have made 3 cups. I only got 1 1/2 cups. Not sure what I did wrong...

No comments: