Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dinner & Dessert.

For dinner we had Black Bean Quesadillas with Goat Cheese. I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was a hit with everyone involved. Plus, it's quick, so you can't really beat it. I would like to try this with homemade tortillas, but that kinda defeats the "quick" part.

My only alterations to the recipe are:
1. I use a lot more cilantro and cumin than recommended and
2. I use peach/mango salsa; it adds a nice sweet complement to the tangy goat cheese.


For dessert. Ah, sweet, sweet dessert. I made the ice cream. Since I messed up somewhere in the cheese making process and only had half of the amount of fresh ricotta I needed for a full recipe of the ice cream, I halved the ice cream recipe. To my chagrin, I only have half a recipe of the lucious, creamy, smooth, aromatic, savory, deliciousness that is the Honey-Lavender Ice Cream. Oh. My. God. This stuff is divine. It is reminiscent of Capogiro's rosemary honey goat's milk gelato, but the base is sweeter and the flavor is more condensed. The only potential adaptation would be the elimination of the honey because the flavor is masked by the lavender, and it really only adds more sweetness; I have an intense sweet tooth, so I love it, but I know others will find it to be too sweet.

Also, this is the first homemade ice cream that I've made that isn't overly icy or hard. I always make the ice cream low-fat or even vegan. Sometimes both. Those two things do not contribute to a creamy ice cream. They really only satisfy my need for an evening sweet. This ice cream, this ice cream is pure bliss...don't let the bland photo trick you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum-O! I love me some quesadillas, I don't make my own tortillas of course. But they're yummy none-the-less. I'm so glad you like the ice-cream and it turned out so well.
-Jamie