Sunday, September 7, 2008

Grape Tart.



Baking with grapes. Who knew? Apparently, Cooking Light did. I happened upon this recipe and was instantly intrigued. I purchased the grapes with plans of making the tart Sunday morning. The tarts calls for both red and black grapes. Besides never baking with grapes, I've never eaten black grapes. They are delicious! They taste like grape juice. (duh!)
Anyhow, I realized that I didn't have butter or oranges like the cooking light crust calls for. I whipped out the Veganomicon book and found an apple galette recipe and just used the pastry recipe from that (plus an additional tablespoon of sugar...I like sweet pastry dough.)
The tart was really good. I was surprised that the grapes didn't wilt or shrivel from the 400 degree oven heat. Also, it would have been vegan except that I brushed the crust with egg yolk, I realize that is easily remedied. (I would have used soy milk to make it 100% vegan, but I assembled the tart at my parents' house.)
So, here's the recipe:

CRUST
2 c flour (I used 1c unbleached, 1/2c whole wheat, 1/2c whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c non hydrogenated vegan shortening
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2c - 3/4c ice water

FILLING
2 1/4 c black grapes
2 1/4c red grapes
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
(Crust)
Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add shortening in small amounts. Cut into flour mixture until dough is crumbly. Combine vinegar & ice water. Add that combination to the flour mixture in three batches. Form into ball, flatten, refrigerate 30 minutes.
Roll out dough into 11" circle.

(Filling)
Combine all ingredients and gently stir. Put fill in center of crust. Leave 2" to fold crust up on the filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

(Oops! Forgot to mention, brush crust with egg yolk and sprinkle entire crust and topping with raw sugar.)

No comments: