Monday, September 8, 2008

Autumn. And Knitting.

According to the calendar, autumn is arriving in a couple of weeks. I am anxious for crunchy leaves underfoot, crisp, chilly nights, and cozy scarves. Sometimes I wonder if I concocted these things in my mind, as the past couple of autumns have lacked much of what I expect it to be.
In a effort to welcome the autumn I crave, I've been wanting to knit this hat. Perhaps it's the colors used, or the pattern of leaves, but it seems to be the quintessential garb for a chilly evening's run to a book store followed by stop at the mastermind of the non-fat pumpkin spice latte.
Like most hats, this pattern requires the usage of double-pointed needles. I've tried and failed several times. I am very clumsy with the needles and the casted on stitches slide right off. Very high frustration level. Until last night. I don't know why, but around 11:30pm, I just needed to figure this out. And I did. I am quite proud of myself; so proud that at 1:00am when I decided it was time for bed, I couldn't sleep. I was tossing and turning thinking about the hats and socks that I can now knit.

One thing I have decided, is that I hate those clinking metal needles. I much rather prefer bamboo needles.
I have been using bamboo needles for several weeks for my mitered square afghan that I'm making for Abby. It will either be for her birthday or for Christmas. (Please note, I am not saying it will be this birthday or Christmas.)

I got a ridiculous amount of yarn from my friend Amber (who was recently featured on artblog) and am making the mitered squares from that stash. I am enjoying the squares because they are quick and easy to knit. And I can vary the color patterns with each square.

No comments: