Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day!

First off, I have to apologize for the mish-mash organization of the photos...it's just not working out today, but I have faith that you'll be able to figure out what pics go with what. ;)

My husband is an amazing Daddy. He's patient, fun, tolerant, and loving. We had a wonderful day at a zoo preceded by breakfast and presents. (Abby decorated his chair with crepe paper.)
For breakfast, I adapted Paula Deen's french toast casserole. I made this once before, but followed the recipe. I like my version much better. Sorry, Paula! I decreased the fat a lot, and really, it could be decreased much more and still be delicious.

For dessert I made a simple, but much loved Fruit Pizza. Seriously, this is the easier recipe ever. It's not even really a recipe! A roll of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough, a small container of cool-whip (use fat-free for less guilt), 8 oz. cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat) and mixed fruit of choice. I just used strawberries. Let the cookie dough and cream cheese come to room temperature, let the cool whip sit in the fridge so it's no longer frozen.
Shape the cookie dough into one big cookie and bake. Blend cream cheese & cool whip (oh, I add a bit of confectioner's sugar and vanilla). Once cookie cools, spread cream cheese/cool whip combo on cookie. Layer the fruit. The end.

Father's Day Gift:
I made a pillow with some a little swatch I purchased from Spoonflower. It's a drawing Abby did of "Daddy."







French Toast Casserole (adapted from Paula Deen)
1 loaf of Italian bread
4 large eggs
2 cups of fat-free half and half
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
dash of salt
Praline topping (recipe follows)

Slice bread into 1-inch each. Arrange slices in 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish sprayed with Baker's Joy (or something similar). In a large bowl, combine the eggs, FF half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.(I skip the maple syrup b/c it's sweet enough, IMO.)

Praline Topping
1 stick of butter (probably could use 1/2 stick)
1/2c packed brown sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Combine all ingredients & blend well.


No comments: