Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Buttercup.

I decided to make the buttercup bag, that is sweeping crafty blogs. When I say "sweeping" I mean, written about by three of the blogs that I read.

I am amazing by people who can actually write a functional pattern. It is an extraordinary talent, and am even more amazed when they decide to share the pattern. For free! I find that in general, the crafty blogiverse is quite generous.

Anyhow, after a couple of failed attempts at making a gift for my mom, I decided upon the buttercup bag. I used an unused floral pillowcase and thrifted drapery fabric. It came out pretty cute, unfortunately, you will never know because I forgot to take a photo of it before I gave it to my mom.

Today, however, I whipped out another bag. And seriously, it's that easy that I can do it with a child asking me questions every 27.5 seconds. This bag is made from thrifted napkins and thrifted cotton fabric. I have been waiting for something to do with those napkins, and I finally found it. Happily, I only used one napkin too! Two more left...

For this particular bag, I skipped the pocket, because really, I see no purpose for it. I also used regular snaps, ya know, the kind you hammer in. I also lenghtend the strap. I think this bag could benefit from interfacing. (Oh, I also skipped the decorative buttons.)

Sadly, however, I will not use this bag because it's entirely too small for me. It would only hold my wallet & possibly my cellphone. I usually carry some books with me, wipes, tissues, lipgloss, and medicial items. And my camera, which would not fit in this bag. At all. I would love to make this make bigger because it's really pretty!

Would anyone like this bag? I mean, out of the 2 people who read this blog? Let me know...post a comment. :)

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I really like it - the fabric combo is so fun! But I agree that the size would probably stop me from using it. Thanks for the pattern review since I was thinking of making this pattern too and now I think I might attempt it in a larger size.

craftyclaire said...

I made it too yesterday. It is small, but perfect for when you need very little apart from your purse, keys and mobile phone. I agree, if I made it again I would add interfacing as it's a little too floppy for my liking, still such generosity, is really kind.

Broomcakes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Broomcakes said...

My OCD forced me to delete my previous comment due to a spelling error, lol. If you use a heavier weight fabric, like the canvas stuff from Ikea or upholstery weight stuff, it's stiff enough to not need interfacing. I'm gifting the one I made to a girl I know for her birthday. She's in 8th grade, so for her, I think it might be a good size.

Anonymous said...

I just made this for my mother in law as well -- and I too thought it would be better to be made with a heavier fabric... but I think it'll be fine once there's stuff in it... and my MIL has lots of bags -- so it's more like a fashion thing :)

The size? I personally LOVE IT. I wouldn't love it for my ONLY bag -- but most often, I only have wallet + cell. I typically have the diaper bag with me or close by :) I hate trying to find things -- so i love tiny purses :)

I love that you made yours from recycled fabrics!!

Jaime said...

I have to apologize, I had every intention of giving this bag away, but the little person living in my house played with it and broke the snap, which in turn, torn the fabric!
Apologies!