Monday, March 23, 2009

Sad Sack.

I've had this pattern for a long time. It's "Built by Wendy 3835." I've seen it all over blogs and flickr. It always looks so cute.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to see it), it does not come in a plus-sized pattern. There is a reason for that. Because, unless you are thin, you will look like a sack of potatoes.
I added a couple of inches to the pattern, I was wondering if I added too much. I don't think so, I just think it's a totally unflattering shirt for my figure. Oh, I also added a bit to the length, which I'm sure added to the "sack" style.
In hindsight, I shouldn't have made the elastic sleeves. I think that makes it look juvenile.
I'm so bummed about this pattern. It's so easy and quick. From cutting out the fabric to finishing the hem, it was just under two hours.
Another reason why it's a hideous shirt...the fabric. I like the fabric, but not for a shirt. I don't know what I was thinking...wait, I do know. It's the only fabric I had enough of to make the shirt. I'm glad it was thrifted fabric and not a fabric that I love.
After some searching last night, I realized that other plus-sized women have the same issue. Their resolution was either a belt (good idea, but I don't like belts) or to put some elastic or a drawstring under the bustline, good idea, but I have to be honest with myself, I will not wear this shirt because of the fabric.
I want to make this again. I will use a dark fabric, probably black. I will skip the elastic arms, and maybe the neck too... the cool thing about this pattern is that it's so versatile.

3 comments:

Broomcakes said...

I don't think the shirt looks bad at all! I agree about the arm elastic. I tried a shirt on last week that had it, and ew, it hurt!

Maybe, like you said, in black, with some lacy embellishments or something, and you will really like it.

I will need to buy this pattern.

Jaime said...

Are you saying I always look like a potato sack?!
Kidding...
I know that overall, the shirt is fine. It just looks like crap *on.*
Definitely by the pattern, the longer shirt and/or dress would really look cute on you, I think!

Jaime said...

And I need to clear up...
"by" = "buy"

I hate spelling errors, but didn't feel like deleting the whole post. While I hate errors, I'm also lazy.