Tuesday, September 23, 2008

With this Ring.

I feel like my every attempt at starting and completing a project has been cursed. I will not get into it because it will just frustrate me and I'm not finished my first cup of coffee yet. I don't have the energy for frustration.
Instead, I'll discuss onion rings. I don't know why I'm like this, but once I get something into my head, I become totally preoccupied with it. OK, that doesn't hold true for everything, just things I'd like to make.
Anyhow, for whatever reason, on Saturday I became possessed with the need to make onion rings. I had two huge onions sitting on my kitchen counter and I had everything else I needed, so there were no additional purchases needed . . . a big bonus in my mind!
I read a few recipes online and just winged it. In an attempt to trick myself into thinking I am making an effort at losing weight, they were baked instead of fried.
I was pretty disappointed. I'm more than positive that they would've been absolutely delicious if they were fried.


Here's what I did:
sliced onions thickly (duh.)
dipped onions in egg wash
coated onions in a mix of flour, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper
dipped in egg wash again
coated with seasoned bread crumbs

Baked in a 425 degree over for 20 minutes. After 5 minutes, rotated pans. After 10 minutes, flipped rings. After 15 minutes, rotated pans again. Bake another 5 minutes. Done.

No comments: