Sunday, October 26, 2008

Apple Overload.




We went to Linvilla Orchards on Friday. We all had a lot of fun. We saw animals, rode a train, picked out pumpkins and went apple picking.
I spent about $25 on apples. There were hardly any apples left, but we found two or three trees that had a decent amount of fruit. The only apples available to pick were red delicious. I think they are my least favorite apples, but what can ya do? (FYI... honeycrisp apples are my new favorite. They are tart and sweet and crisp and wonderful.)
When we came home, I adapted a recipe and made a sort of apple cobbler. Eh. Not impressive and therefore, not picture worthy.
This morning I made German Apple Pancakes. It was Cooking Light's August 2008 cover recipe.
This was easy, but not quick. It was good, but not a "go out and get the ingredients" recipe. Although really, it's one of those recipes that has basic pantry ingredients anyhow. That's always a bonus.
OK, wait, I'm lying. I didn't have egg substitute, so I substituted the substitute by using *gasp* three real eggs mixed with water.
It was good, but not great. It tasted too egg-y for me. Maybe that's due to the amount of eggs. Maybe it's just that way. I don't know. Either way, it wasn't really a good use of the excess of apples I have since it only used about one and a half apples. I think I'm going to make applesauce today.

No comments: