Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review: A Discovery of Witches

As previously mentioned, I am enamored with witches. I think I have been most of my life, well, at least since I was about 6 or so when I started reading The Worst Witch book series by Jill Murphy. I have also been attracted to things simple things of the past: old barns, the smell of musty wood, cottages, and thick, worn books.

Lately, I have been reading witch-inspired books. It started last summer with The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. True, the book was predictable, but I still loved every page.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished The Daughters of Witching Hill. I loved this book mainly because it is historical fiction. No present day woman discovering her family's history in witchcraft, it is all in the past. The dirty, gritty past filled with horrific details.

Last night I finished the first book in a trilogy: A Discovery of Witches. It was slow to get my interest, the I became very interested, then I became annoyed, then I just felt obligated to finish it. So, my review, I sort of liked it.

Firstly, I was disappointed when I realized that it was like an adult-version of the Twilight saga, of which, I have read none. I am not sure why, I thought it would be like Deliverance Dane, in that it is a woman from the present discovering her past. Not true. It is in present day. A present day that not only has human, but witches, vampires, and daemons (bugs the hell out of me how it's spelled). The latter three, can sense each other out, but humans do not know of their existence. That right that annoyed me.

Perhaps the thing that annoyed me the most, how the author kept insisting that the main character is a strong and independent woman, but her vampire boyfriend keeps rescuing her, and aiding her, and comforting her. Blah, blah, blah. They have known each other for a few weeks are so deeply in love that they are willing to die for each other. WHATEVER. Maybe I'm too much of a realist (says the woman who a few paragraphs up declared her love of witches), but seriously, I just can't get into that bullshit. I guess I can suspend my sense of reality a bit when dealing with supernatural beings, but when it comes to love, something that IS real, I just can't be so flighty. I wish it wasn't a love story.

I think this book could be really good, minus the love shit. So, I think I will read the second book, but not any time soon, even though it's not even out until next month. And, I will read it because it is about time travel, and I am interested in that too. Quantum Leap? Still one of my favorite shows. Oh boy!

No comments: