Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Heart Aprons.

I don't know why, but I like wearing an apron. Part of it may be due to the fact that I'm a slob and most of my clothes have some sort of stain on them. The other part may be that it's pretty convenient to wear something that you can wipe your hands on. The main, and least practical part is that they're just pretty! I'm not one for looking "pretty", really. I don't wear make-up everyday. My hair is either down and frizzy or up in a clip and frizzy. It's mommy hair. But, I can put on an apron and instantly transformed into feeling pretty. Weird.
I mean, they're utilitarian (score!) and they're just nice to look at. I had an apron for awhile that I didn't like. It came from some one I was no longer friends with and it bothered me that I thought of her every time I put it on. Plus, it just wasn't pretty.

This past Christmas my mom bought me an apron that I love it's made of fabric with vintage appliances on it. And bows on the pockets. Very cute! I like this apron because, as previously mentioned, I'm a slob and it's got a full bib. With the arrival of this apron, I tossed the ugly, old-friend gifted apron.

Despite the new apron, I often oohed and aahed over a fabric that my friend (not the old friend, but a friend who as been around for quite some time) gave me for my birthday. I swear, if I was a fabric, this is the one I'd be. It's pale blue and white polka dots with cherries and chocolates and cakes. And it's just lovely. It's everything I love all in one precious fabric. This friend also gave me Amy Karol's Bend the Rules Sewing. I don't know if she did it on purpose (knowing her, she did) but how could I not use the fabric for the apron in the book!?

This apron in the book was easy peasy to put together. The instructions are flawless and so fun because so much is left up to you! I had fun with the pocket, although admittedly, I put the ric-rac on as an afterthought, so the edges will fray, but that'll just give it more charm. I did make the width of the apron a few inches larger than Amy recommends because, well, I'm a bit wider than the average woman. I love the thickness and length of the apron strings. Perfect for a substantial, pretty bow in the back.

I added the little pink and red ric-rac ruffle, and thought that 2 inches would be enough, I was wrong, but I don't think it looks *too* bad. Would've looked better if it was 3 or 4 inches, but I still love it! It's pretty and I smile when I look at the apron.

3 comments:

Broomcakes said...

It was accidentally on purpose:)

Denean said...

Ooooh, I love the addition of the ruffle and ric rac at the waist band! I'm a big fan of Bend the Rules Sewing too. Your apron is precious!

Jaime said...

Heather-
That's what I thought! LOL.

Denean-
Thank you so much! This was the first thing I made from the book and am looking forward to many more projects.